Full text
Lady’s Well is a beautiful crystal-clear pool formed by a natural spring. It stands surrounded by a small grove of trees, creating a lovely shady spot to sit on a hot summer's day.
It is likely that the Romans transformed the natural spring into a pool by building a retaining wall around the spring, creating a source of clear, fresh water.
The Romans probably created the pool after they built a road past this remote location, leading from the fort at nearby Bremenium to the River Aln and then on towards the Northumberland coast.
It makes sense they would have created the pool here, as the natural spring would have been a precious source of drinking water. As such, it is likely that it also served as a shrine for those travelling along the road.
It is suggested that the pool was then associated with Saint Ninian, the 5th-century apostle of the border lands. Legend states that the saint baptised many early Christians in its holy waters.
In Medieval times, the pool was dedicated to the Virgin Mary. This is where it gets the name "Lady's Well" from.
In the early 12th century, Holystone became the home of a priory of Augustinian Canonesses. Sadly, the priory buildings were demolished during the Reformation in 1541, and there is now no trace of them.
In 1780, a statue of St Paulinus was brought from Alnwick Castle and set up in the centre of the pool.
Then in the Victorian period, the statue was moved to dry ground and a Celtic-style stone cross replaced it, with the statue of St Paulinus now standing serenely gazing out over the pool.
The natural spring that feeds the pool is still the source of Holystone village’s water supply. The spring is said to produce 560 gallons of water every minute. The water is filtered through a bed of fine sand to produce sparkling clear water, although maybe don't drink straight from the pool, as it is littered with leaf debris from the surrounding copse of trees!
Comments
No comments yet — be the first to weigh in 👇
No comments yet. Be the first!